Friday, April 9, 2010

No, I am not a vegetarian

Ah, dear reader, it is lovely to find you reading this post after my long absence. College life is filled with strenuous work, but I have not forgotten you! I see Jessica has recently blogged without needing to do so for our class. In keeping with my friendly but competitive nature, I feel compelled to do the same. What now Jessica?

I will not be blogging about ethology or a specific article today, but about animal treatment instead. Animals are important, ok? I would be willing to bet that almost everyone I regularly come into contact with has heard about unethical treatment of animals on factory farms. But I would also be willing to bet that almost no one I come into contact with regularly is too worried about the treatment of animals on factory farms.

No, I am not a vegetarian or vegan. No, I am not going to tell you to watch some gruesome PETA video. No, I'm not asking you to give up meat for good.

All I want to do is raise awareness a little. At most, I'm just asking you to think about how you can make a difference without changing your daily habits. Is that too much, dear reader?

Factory farming is a huge issue all over the world, and the United States is no exception. Factory farms not only make animals live in terrible conditions, but they also cause air pollution, are sources for antibiotic resistant bacteria, and decrease biodiversity.

The Meatrix is a site that provides informative but still entertaining videos (using the Matrix movies as a basis) about the secrets and harms of factory farming. The site lists the issues and how you can help without changing your way of life- and without asking you to become vegetarian. Check out the video below- the first in a three part set- that exposes factory farming. Then check out the website to see what you can do to help diminish the unethical treatment of animals in factory farms.

1 comment: